Monday, April 28, 2008

"When baking, follow directions. When cooking, go by your own taste."

So tonight, I didn't feel like thinking of something original or creative to make for dinner. Therefore, we're having boring, old spaghetti. As the above quote (by Laiko Bahrs- whoever that is?- just liked the quote) states, it's really about your personal taste when cooking. Especially with a dish like spaghetti! But I'll share how I did it and you can change it up to suit you!

I sauteed a chopped onion and 3-4 minced garlic cloves in some olive oil. Then, I added lean ground beef and cooked until the meat was brown and the onions clear. Optional- drain off excess fat. Add a regular size can of diced tomatoes (I think mine were Italian style or something) and a 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes. I added some Italian seasoning (a combo of thyme, basil and oregano would also work). I also had some fresh basil, so I threw in a little of that. I let the sauce simmer for 20-30 minutes (depending on how soon you need to eat). Meanwhile, I boiled my water and cooked the pasta- penne. I used the brand Dreamfield, which is lower in carbs and pretty delicious.

Once the pasta is cooked, I added the pasta and the sauce together and mixed well. Then, I put servings of the pasta into baking dishes and topped with a combo of fresh mozzarella and grated parmesan. The great thing about doing it this way is that you can put it in the fridge until you're ready to serve. When it's time to eat, pop the baking dishes into the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese gets a little brown.

Luckily, no mishaps in the kitchen tonight!
But please be available and ready to defend me when someone accuses me of abusing my dog. I'm both trying to learn to run distance (i.e. still only able to run 1 mile at this time) and teach Ivy how to walk on the leash. Needless to say, this resulted in me accidentally and unknowingly kicking her a few times, as I was running and she crossed my path. More than once, I caught the disapproving look of another jogger. I wanted to tell her she should try a couple laps with Ivy by her side. But she was at a slightly faster pace than me and jogged on ahead. Ivy and I cut our run a little short. I didn't want to stick around for the fast jogger to take down my licence plate number!

No comments: