Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Who says you can't go home???

I had a fabulous weekend in Abilene and I really enjoyed seeing my family. I had Texas BBQ and some of my mom's home cooking. And of course, no trip to Texas would be complete without Tex-Mex!

Because of my kind, sweet friend, Melissa, I went to the Bon Jovi concert in Dallas at the American Airlines Center on Monday night. The concert was fabulous and very entertaining. They did a lot of really cool stuff with the stage and lighting. Our seats were a little high, but we had a great time!
I'm back in Nashville and I decided to bake some chocolate chip cookies. I know there are tons of versions of chocolate chip cookies and you might have a delicious recipe yourself. In fact, my family once tested out a few different recipes. My mom, aunts, and grandmothers made several different versions and all the "guys" were the judges. Of course, the judges were treading on thin ice since they were judging the cookies of their wife, mother, daughters-in-law, sisters, and mother-in-law, etc. A very sticky situation. So in order to keep in the good graces of all the women in their lives- they unanimously agreed that a warm chocolate chip cookie was the winner hands down (regardless of the recipe)!

This recipe is adapted from the Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie. Enjoy!
Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) chocolate chips

Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F.

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.


No comments: