Thursday, July 17, 2008

Key Lime Goodness

Lately, I have really been craving key lime pie. Normally, I’m definitely a chocolate girl, but I have been ordering key lime pie whenever possible. I finally decided to give it a try myself and I was not disappointed. It’s a very simple and tasty recipe!

Our friends, Ali and Sam are coming to Nashville for a visit, so this will be waiting on them when they get here. Hopefully, they like key lime pie as much as I do!

And a special thanks to Lisa, Deborah and Delancy for my fancy new shamrock green Fiesta pie plate! I love it! It definitely makes the pie taste better!!!


Key Lime Pie


Crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
7 tablespoons butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In medium bowl, combine cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of sugar, and the melted butter. Press firmly on bottom and up sides of pie plate. Bake for 7 minutes and let cool completely.

Filling:
3 large egg yolks
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and condensed milk. Stir in the lime zest, lime juice, and cream. Pour the filling into the crust and bake about 30 minutes or until firm. Remove pie from oven and let cool 20 minutes before putting into fridge.

E’s Notes:
  • I used the remaining heavy cream to make whipped cream by adding some powdered sugar and beating for a few minutes.
  • The homemade crust is totally optional- you could definitely by a prepared crust from the store.
  • I cheated a little bit and used the juice from one fresh lime and some store-bought key lime juice. I can’t tell a difference!

Ivy went to the groomer for a day of pampering. Doesn't she look pretty???

Apparently, all that pampering leaves her exhausted. She's been sleeping all afternoon!

1 comment:

Eddie said...

That Ivy dog looks so cute -- give her a hug for me. Wish I could have a piece of that key lime pie --it looks yummy and I'm not a fan of key lime pie. Love that green pie plate
love mom