Thursday, December 11, 2008

Chili Weather

It’s finally starting to get a little cooler. I realize that in most places in the country, the cool, crisp weather starts in fall- maybe late October, early November. But not in OKC. It’s nearing mid- December and the cool weather is just beginning. I don’t mind too much, since the cold can be unpleasant, but I do love to eat chili to warm up! And it can be hard to eat chili when the temperature is hovering near 70! But we're finally headed down into the 40s and I think it's safe to break out the chili pot!

The real question with chili- beans or no beans? I don’t like too many beans in my chili- I’ll put half a can or so in the entire batch or I prefer none at all. This particular recipe is from our DC friend, Sam. He and Ali made this chili for me when we all lived in Nashville and I absolutely loved it. He generously shared the recipe and I have been making it ever since! Sam feels pretty strongly about minimal beans in chili!!!


Sam’s Awesome Chili

One set of instructions applies to one pound of meat, so for two pounds, double it. The only thing is the beans. Since I don’t like them, I only use half a can for the entire recipe of 4 lbs, but however much you use, be sure to use all the juice, for some reason that’s part of the recipe.

1 lb. ground sirloin (or ground turkey)
1 clove crushed garlic (large clove)
1 handful of onion (approx 1 cup)
1 can Campbell’s Tomato Soup (small standard can of condensed)
1 16 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste

Brown meant a pound at a time with enough olive oil to fill the bottom of the pan. Once it starts to brown, add the garlic, onion, and salt and pepper. Once the onions start to be translucent, add the chili powder and coat all the meat by mixing it up. Then, put that in a large pot with the Tomato Soup, crushed tomatoes, and beans.

Once you have all the meat cooked and everything is in your large pot, simmer for an hour. At this point, you can add any special ingredients you want. You can add a bottle of beer, preferably something that has some flavor and not Bud Light. Also, I heard that you can add a block of unsweetened dark chocolate and melt that in there. I sometimes like to mix it up and throw this that and the other in there . . . just as it simmers and you’re adding things, try the chili as you go and add whatever it needs . . . I add thing like more garlic, a lot more chili powder, salt, pepper, etc.



E's Notes:
  • I add beer or stock or the chili can be a little too thick.
  • As Sam said, definitely more chili powder, some cumin, and sometimes some chipotle seasoning. I like it a little spicy!
  • Use your favorite toppings- cheese, sour cream, onion, etc.

No comments: