Saturday, April 11, 2009

Cupcake Day

I didn't have much planned for Saturday, so I thought it would be a great day to make some Easter egg cupcakes. I got the idea for them from my Hello, Cupcake recipe book that I got for Christmas. I think they turned out pretty well.

First, I made egg shaped sugar cookies and then, I made cupcakes. Next, decorate the sugar cookies and put a little green icing on top of the cupcake to hold the cookie in place. Then, add the green grass.

Of course, along the way, I learned a few lessons and I'll pass those along in case you want to make something like this.

Tips:
  • Don't use sandwich bags for piping icing- they will bust every time (took me a couple times to get this one!). Use quart freezer bags.
  • The book says that you can make all kinds of fancy designs, just by snipping the corner of a baggie- this just isn't true. I used an icing tip!
  • You need to use a serrated knife to level out the dome of the cupcake, otherwise, the cookie on top looks weird and sloped.
  • It works best to decorate the sugar cookie and then, put it on top of the cupcake.
  • This would be a great activity for kids!












1 comment:

Amy Mc said...

Super cute- you can make these with Brinley some day! :0)