Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy W.E.D.!

I bet you didn't know that today is Women's Equality Day! It commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote!


The YWCA had a big celebration on Monday night and it was a fantastic success. You can see more details about the event here.






My co-worker, Katie, and I put together a small presentation for the evening and I have to say that I really enjoyed putting it together. It was a great reminder about how hard women have worked to bring us to where we are today. Discrimation definitely still exists, but we have come so far in the last few centuries.


From the evening's panel discussion, I really took away how important it is not to be apathetic. One panelist talked about the glass ceiling and how several women have broken through that glass ceiling, but the story ends there. There are those handful of women who make it through, but the rest of the women have not. The question is how do we all get there?!?!




Deep thoughts for such a little cooking blog! Anyway, I hope you think about your role as a woman today and how lucky we are that we've been able to choose- choose a career, choose a family (or not), choose to buy a house, choose to go to school, choose to be a mom, choose to vote.





Happy Women's Equality Day!


No comments: