Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mom's Chili

The weather is turning just a little bit cooler and there is a definite crispness to the air. It’s what I like to call “chili” weather. And nothing warms you up better than a big pot of warm, chili.


I realize that hundreds of chili recipes are out there- vegetarian, spicy, super spicy, extra beans, no beans, etc. I’ve even posted Sam’s chili recipe earlier on my blog. I’m not too picky about my chili, but I do have a special place in my heart for my mom’s chili. And even though I follow her recipe, it seems to always taste better when she makes it.


This is just a simple, basic chili recipe. Nothing fancy about it. It goes best with a package of saltine crackers (only Zesta are served in the Moore house).








MJ’s Chili


2 lbs ground sirloin (I used 1 lb. sirloin and 1 lb. ground turkey breast)
1 med onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
3 tsp (heaping) cumin
3 tsp (heaping) chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 ½ cup water
1 sm can tomato sauce

Brown meat, onion, garlic. Add dry ingredients – mix well. Add water (may need more). Cook covered 15 minutes (usually simmer for at least 1 hour). Add tomato sauce + more water if needed.

I now add 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper. Also can add jalapeno pepper (she never does this!!!!)!














No comments: