Thursday, December 10, 2009

Deck the Halls

I absolutely LOVE decorating for Christmas. It is one of my absolute favorite things about the holiday. I think it may have started with my mom- she made decorating our tree a Christmas family tradition.

As a family, we would go and pick out our beautiful tree (do I really even need to mention here that it was "real?"). We would bring it home and my dad would get the lights on the tree. My mom would get the Christmas music started (I'm pretty sure it was on a record player when I was little) and warm up the hot chocolate. Ethan and I had certain ornaments that were "ours" and my mom and dad would help us get them on the tree.

It made such a simple holiday chore into something really fun and special. We looked forward to it so much and talked about all the special memories associated with each ornament.

It's not quite the same since I'm an adult and despite my best efforts, Jeremy doesn't get super excited about Christmas decorations. The entire time we are decorating, he is thinking- who's gonna pick alllll this up when Christmas is over?!?!

We did do a little decorating this year and luckily, Jeremy is on board with the real tree. There is nothing like the smell of a real tree during Christmas! I wish I could bottle that smell . . .

Here's our tree in all her glory




collage of all our different decorations



I love these ornaments from Pottery Barn and I buy one every year (since JTW and I have been married). Simple, silver frames with the year engraved. I'll keep getting one as long as they make them. It's a great memory!

a view of our tree from outside



tree and wreath


How much is that doggy in the window?


Ivy and Win were really confused about why I was outside taking pictures.

Grab some hot chocolate, set your iPod to Ann Murray's Christmas tunes (or maybe I'm the only one that has that cd) and start decorating!

Happy Decorating!

No comments: