Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Schedules

I love schedules! I thrive on routine! I enjoy planning!

Since coming home from the hospital, EC has been on a schedule. Mostly due to the fact that she was born early and had jaundice. The pediatrician recommended waking her up every 3 hours (at least) for feedings. In those early days, I literally woke her up for almost every feeding. She was sooo sleepy! But needed to eat!

Over time, we slowly cut out the middle of the night feedings and she slept later and later.

For quite some time now, EC has been on a pretty consistent 3 hour schedule, starting around 7:30am with her last feeding at 10:30pm. I feed her every 3 hours for the most part with a total of 6 feedings a day. She’s definitely gone close to 4 hours between feedings, but it’s worked out great. Very dependable day. I can plan errands around this schedule and I generally know when will be a good nap versus a bad nap.

As of late, it seems that more and more, I’m having to wake her up from naps for feedings and for the past few days, she’s not taken a full feeding or simply refused to nurse at one of the later feedings. This all points to a schedule change!!!!! Yikes!

I really struggle with these changes! The old scheduled is so familiar and worked so well. But we are giving the 3.5- 4 hour schedule a try, which will mean 5 feedings a day.

Change is hard, but I’m pretty sure that’s being a parent. Some type of change is always taking place. And really, a 4 hour schedule can mean a little more freedom for me!


UPDATE (7/27/2011):
The schedule change is a no go.  The first night, she woke up at 3:00am- she almost never does that!  We went in her room and patted her belly or gave her the pacifier about 5 times.  I finally fed her at 7:00am. 

The next day she woke up at 4:00am and I fed her at 6:30 and she pretty much ate every 3 hours the rest of the day, maybe 3.5 hours a few times.  Overall, it looks like she just wasn't ready to cut back a feeding.  We can try again in a week or so.

No comments: