Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Lazy Daisy

Well, I haven't blogged in a while for a couple of reasons. First of all, I feel conflicted about having a blog and the entire world having access to my personal thoughts and secondly, I have had a little back trouble. But I'm proceeding with the blog and I'm on the road to recovery with the back.

So here is a delicious recipe. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but these are fantastic. I made a few without coconut, but they are not as good. I would encourage you to give it a try. Also, the recipe says it should make 12 cupcakes, I had enough batter to make 18. I used cupcake liners, but I might try it without, since the icing spills over the sides. You may have seen or heard of a similar recipe- a hot milk cake.

Lazy Daisy Cakes
3 eggs
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cup sugar
1 ½ cup flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
Heaping ¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
6 tablespoon unsalted butter
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoon heavy cream
¾ cup grated coconut

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour an 8 inch square pan (or muffin pan).

Beat the eggs with the vanilla until they have thickened slightly. Gradually add the granulated sugar and beat thoroughly.

Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together and add to the sugar mixture, blending until smooth.

Heat the milk and 1 tablespoon of the butter together in a small saucepan. When the butter has melted, stir the milk into the batter and mix well; the batter will be very liquid.

Work quickly now as noted. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and back for 25 minutes (about 18 minutes for cupcakes), until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Remove the cake from the oven. Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, the brown sugar, the cream, and the coconut together in a small saucepan over low heat until the butter and sugar are melted and well blended.

Spread over the hot cake and brown lightly under the broiler for a minute or two, taking care that the top does not burn.

*Special Note: Once the hot milk has been stirred into the batter, quickly pour it into the prepared pan and pop it into the oven, because as soon as the baking powder is combined with the hot liquid, it begins its work of leavening, and you want that to happen in the heat of the oven.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: