Tuesday, May 27, 2008

All is well that ends well . . .

We got off to a very rough start this morning. Jeremy had a little work luncheon today and he was supposed to bring an appetizer and dessert. With all the cleaning and organizing yesterday, I didn't have time to make anything, so I decided I would start cooking this morning and bring it up to his office a little before lunch time.


I got up while Jeremy was getting ready and I started getting the ingredients out to make brownies, and then, I took Ivy out for a little walk. While I was outside with Ivy, Jeremy kissed me goodbye and left for work. Ivy and I headed back inside, so I could start the baking BUT . . . the door was locked!!! In following his normal routine, Jeremy walked out of the house and locked the door behind him. (He has been in trouble a few times when I've headed into the living room to find one or more doors unlocked)


Jeremy was too far down the road for me to try to run after him, so I had to try to find a neighbor at home. Let's also take this opportunity to mention that I looked like I had just rolled out of bed- pj tank top on, glasses, no makeup and crazy bedhead (not the cute, trendy bedhead, either!). I found a neighbor at home and called Jeremy on his cell phone- no answer, work phone- no answer. I finally tried his cell again and he answered. He was already half way to work!

Ivy and I sat and waited on our little porch. After several minutes, Jeremy let us back inside, so I could start on the brownies (again) when I saw a little silver shiny HP laptop. That's right- Jeremy's work computer. I called him and said- forget something?!?! So I put Ivy in the car and drove up to Jeremy's office and dropped off his laptop. I rushed back home and started on the brownies.


I made brownies and sweet chicken bacon wraps. I had to drive them back up to Jeremy's office- I was a little late. Too bad gas is $4 a gallon!!!


Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps


1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Brownies with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
(Original recipe here)


1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, melted
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

PREHEAT oven to 350º F. Grease 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

COMBINE granulated sugar, butter and water in large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; stir into sugar mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared baking pan.

BAKE for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars

Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
In a saucepan melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool. In a small bowl stir together two 3 ounce packages softened cream cheese and ½ cup sifted powdered sugar. Stir in melted chocolate until smooth.

I was exhausted before noon! The frosting on my brownies looks a little cracked, because I had to put them in the freezer to speed up the cooling. Everything turned out well!

No comments: