Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

Well, a few days ago, I went to get a little manicure- just my usual with a neutral pinkish white color. Just as my manicurist is about to apply the first coat of polish, she looks over at me and kind of stares and in her broken English says, “Want me to do eyebrow?” I’m thinking- I really wasn’t planning on getting my eyebrows waxed today, but if they are so completely out of control that manicurist everywhere put down there brushes to stare, perhaps, I should reconsider.

And I did reconsider and say, why not?!?! Big mistake. She did a fine job- they actually do look better. If that is, you can look past what appears to be 13 year old acne above and below my eyebrows and oh yes- in between my eyes. But it’s not acne, because it hurts like crap! What was I thinking?!?! I’ve tried applying Neosporin, but I’ve seen zero improvement. Looks like I’m just going to have to wait this one out. I'll spare you the picture!

Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake from RR web-site.

I wanted to make something easy and quick! I was also in the mood for chocolate, but I didn’t want to spend the time making several pans of cookies. This chocolate chip coffee cake is the perfect solution! It’s very easy to make and it’s delicious. I think it would be the perfect dessert to have on hand if you have weekend guests.

Janet's Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips (about 6 ounces)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.

2. Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture, in 2 parts, until just combined. Pour half the batter into the cake pan and sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar and half the chocolate chips. Spoon the remaining batter as evenly as possible over the filling, spreading gently. Sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips.

3. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.

No comments: