Thursday, May 22, 2008

Something to Smile About

Again, still with the theme of trying to use up pantry items. Somehow, I ended up with two very LARGE containers of oatmeal. That’s a lot of oatmeal! I had some for breakfast yesterday and today, but the thought of trying to eat my way through 2 LARGE containers one breakfast bowl at a time, kind of makes me nauseous. In addition, I would probably still be eating oatmeal a year from now- one little bowl hardly makes a dent!

So I came up with meatloaf and no bake cookies. I very rarely make meatloaf- maybe twice ever! My mom never and I mean never made meatloaf when I was growing up (nor does she even to this day). I think maybe she ate it too often when she was a kid? Or maybe she just doesn’t like it? Needless to say, I don’t have some great family recipe for meatloaf, so I have to resort to finding a recipe on-line. If you have a great recipe, feel free to share!
On the other hand, no bake cookies were a regular in my house- growing up and even now! I love them- chocolate, peanut butter, oatmeal! Delicious! I have so many memories of my bff, Amy, and I eating these cookies- or really just licking the pan while the batter? was still warm. Mmmm!

I ended up with no pictures of the mini meatloaves- Jeremy's cousin came over for dinner, so I didn't really have a chance. I really like the mini-meatloaf concept, because they are individual portions and they bake a little faster. And you don't have to worry about it crumbling apart while you try to slice it. I added a little more seasoning to my meatloaf- salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. I think it turned out well.

Dinner tonight- mini meatloaves, mashed potatoes, corn, garlic rolls, and no bake cookies! Hello carbs!

Mini Meatloaves
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound ground beef
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, cheese, oats and salt. Add the ground beef, mixing well, and form this mixture into eight miniature meatloaves. Place these in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.

*Tip: put foil in your backing dish so clean up is super easy- just throw away the foil!

In a separate small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard. Stir thoroughly and spread over each meatloaf.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes.




No Bake Cookies

4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup peanut butter1 tablespoon vanilla extract


Mix together sugar, butter or margarine, and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute, stirring constantly.


Remove from heat and mix in cocoa, quick oatmeal and vanilla. Drop by spoonfuls on waxed paper.


This is the best part about making no bake cookies!


Ivy licked the peanut butter spoon!

A plate of no bake cookies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Memories....block the corners of my mind...misty chocolate and peanut butter covered memories...."
Thanks for the shout out in the blog! I always think of you when I make those, too! Love ya! Am