Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cupcakes Gone Bad

Well, I'll be honest, this trifle was the product of another kitchen mishap. It actually turned out okay and no one would have to know that this trifle is actually a cupcake gone terribly wrong, but I'm continuing with my efforts of being an open and honest blogger, especially with regards to my cooking adventures.

Mandy and David invited us over for dinner and she asked if I could bring the dessert. Of course, I would love to make a dessert! I decided on cupcakes- easy to make, easy to transport (with my handy little cupcake carrier) and most importantly, a delicious dessert.

While flipping through a cupcake recipe book, I saw an oreo cupcake recipe. It was a regular cupcake with oreo icing. I didn't have the recipe, but I thought- how hard can it be?!?! I baked chocolate cupcakes- turned out well, no issues. And while they cooled, I got started on the icing. I used a recipe for vanilla buttercream. And then, added crushed oreos. I'm not sure what went wrong- the butter didn't cream right, I added too much milk, the oreos were more than the buttercream could handle . . . I don't know. But, what I had was oreo soup.

I attempted to frost a few cupcakes- Jeremy was looking at me like I was crazy. The icing just ran over the sides and it looked completely unappetizing. So, I decided to remove the papers and make them little frosted mini-cakes. No- still terrible. And then, inspiration hit- a TRIFLE!

I took all the papers off of the cupcakes, chopped them into one inch cubes. I pulled out a tub of cool whip and the remaining package of oreos and got to work. A layer of cake, a layer of oreo soup (aka, my icing), a layer of cool whip, a layer of crushed oreos, repeat.

The end result was nothing like my initial goal of cute little cupcakes, but it still tasted pretty good. There is really no recipe for this- just an idea if you ever make some cupcakes gone bad.






No comments: