Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cruise Story, Part 3: Chicken of the Sea

Our excursion in the Caymans was a kayaking trip. This trip was a little more Jeremy and a little less me. But I really tried to be a good sport about it!

We took a very short drive to the kayak area and left all our things in our guides car (crossed our fingers that it was safe). And we paired up and got into our kayaks. Our guide let us know that more than couple decided to end things after going on his kayaking expedition.



This is the most expensive home on the island- I think the bus driver said it's worth about $7 million.



This is the oldest private residence on the island- I wish I could remember the year. But I already forgot!



The water in the Caymans was like no other. It was so clear- it was unbelievable!



Our guide said that the person in the front of the kayak was the leader and the person in the 2nd seat should follow the lead. Don’t think I didn’t remind Jeremy of that more than once on our expedition!

Things were going pretty good. We were near the shore, looking at the trees and in the distance, we could see the storm headed our way. We tied our kayaks together and within just a few minutes, it was pouring down rain. It wasn't too bad, since we all had swimsuits on, but the cold rain pelting down on us was not the best time of the trip. The rain passed after about 10 minutes and we kayaked out to a little barge/ dock type thing.

We tied our kayaks up and the guide passed out snorkeling gear. Let's just say snorkeling is not on my list of things to do . . . ever. I just don't want to do it. It wasn't a big deal- I relaxed on the dock and Jeremy snorkeled with everyone else.



While we were on the dock, our guide started telling us a funny story about something that happened on a previous excursion. Something about an octopus falling out of a large shell and getting stuck onto a girl's foot. Naturally, she was hysterical.

Unknowingly, as our guide told the story- he tipped Jeremy off to a new phrase for me. The hysterical girl didn't want to go snorkeling or get into the water at all, so the guide referred to her as- Chicken of the Sea. Jeremy thought this was hilarious and referred to me as the Chicken of the Sea for the remainder of our kayaking.



Don't we look like pros?!?! It was a really fun trip, but my arms were definitely sore after all that paddling (you know, as the leader).

One more note- I realize that I am the only person with a life jacket on (the only person in our group). You can never be too careful! Safety first!

We look rough in this next pic- a day of kayaking in the sun wore us out!



We were ready to shower and get ready for a fabulous dinner!


No comments: