Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Easy Dinner

For an easy dinner, pork tenderloin is a great idea. I made the marinade the night before, so the meat had time to soak in all those delicious flavors at night and while I was at work.

Even better, I found pork tenderloin on sale- buy one get one free. Lots of ways to use the leftovers, so I went ahead and made both. I served the tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes, and a side salad. Yum!



I can't remember if I've posted the way I make my garlic mashed potatoes, so I'm going to give the run down again, just in case. I cube my potatoes and put them in the cold water and also add in 1-2 whole garlic cloves. Then, cook the potatoes over medium high heat for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain the water and then put the pot back on the warm burner (you can turn the burner off and it will still be warm). This way you can be sure all the excess water gets out!

Mash the potatoes up with the pastry blender and then, add a little butter, sour cream, half and half, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Garnish with green onions.

If you're wondering what happens to the garlic, it gets soft and mashes up with the taters. It just leaves a hint of garlic. You can also change up the ingredients a little bit depending on what you have- milk, cream, or half and half will work. Or if you don't like sour cream, omit. The cheese is also optional.




Pork Tenderloin

Marinade:
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dry red wine
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 green onions (green parts only), chopped

Combine marinade ingredients in a measuring cup and whisk to combine. Pour over pork tenderloin in a plastic bag. Marinate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45 minutes or until meat is 145 degrees F when measured with an instant-read thermometer. Allow meat to rest about 10 minutes before cutting into 2-inch serving pieces. Drizzle a small amount of the meat juices from cooking over each piece of meat.

E’s Notes:
  • I used a lot less cinnamon- less than ¼ teaspoon.
  • I also used reduced sodium soy sauce.
  • Plan on cooking meat for at least 1 hour if not more.



Sorry the meat pics look a little disgusting! I don't know if there is a good way to make a meat dish look pretty?!?!

No comments: