Saturday, October 4, 2008

These Shoes Were Made for Walkin'?

Both Jeremy and I had very busy weeks at work and I had to attend a sexual assault training all day Saturday and Jeremy went in to work on close. By Saturday evening, I was completely exhausted!

A friend of Jeremy's from work, gave him 2 tickets to a VIP charity event (the value was $100/each). Jeremy thought we should go to the event, since we had free tickets and it was supposed to be really fun. I, on the other hand, did not want to go. I was just so tired and the last thing I wanted to do was put on a fancy dress and get all "fixed up." But Jeremy made the argument that we don't get out nearly enough and if it wasn't fun, we could just leave. After going back and forth for 30 minutes, I gave in and started getting ready. Took a shower, straightened my hair, got out the fancy jewelry, etc.

We are running a little bit late, but we figure the event is kind of a come and go. Jeremy's friend had texted him earlier in the day to let him know that she couldn't come. As we get closer to the event, cars are parked everywhere- along the sides of the road, in the grass, it's ridiculous. I'm thinking this must be one heck of a charity event!

But then, I see that no one is dressed all fancy. In fact, some people are not even wearing bras with their halter tops, flip-flops, and cut off shorts. No one is even remotely dressed nicely! Just to remind you- I'm in a little black dress and heels! I tell Jeremy that I can not get out of the car- I'm completely over dressed. After we park our car in a grassy/ dirt field, Jeremy assures me that all these people are not attending the VIP event, as they would not all have paid $100 per ticket. I'm extremely skeptical. After a lot of convincing on Jeremy's part, I finally get out of the car and start walking towards the entrance.

I walked past tons of people- all of them giving me questioning looks. You know what they were thinking! We finally get to the lady directing people and she asks if we are here for the river cruise. No, Jeremy tells her- we are here for the VIP event. Oh- that was last night! WHAT?!?!

That's right- printed neatly on our tickets 10.03.2008! So, we traipse back to our car in our fancy clothes, right past all the people in wife-beaters, tanks, and mini-skirts.

And luckily, I have a wonderful husband, who took me to a very fancy dinner. Not so much free, but really great all the same!

1 comment:

Amy Mc said...

I knew those shoes were perfect for you the moment I saw them! Funny story too, I actually thought you were going to say it was the charity event and people were dressed that way anyways- I mean, it is Oklahoma!! :0)