Saturday, June 4, 2011

All dogs go to heaven.


And if there was ever any doubt, I'm one hundred percent sure now.  Our precious Ivy went to Heaven today.  Words can't express how saddened we are by this loss.  Ivy was an integral part of our family and we absolutely adored her. 

Yesterday was a normal day.  Like most days, I was mostly preoccupied with taking care of Emmeline.  This afternoon Ivy and Winnie were playing in our backyard.  I planned to feed Emme at 4:00, so I wanted them to come inside before I fed her.  I called them both inside with a treat- Ivy was waiting at the door and Winnie was playing in the yard.  Ivy bypassed the treat and headed straight for our bedroom.  Winnie ran inside and got her treat.  Ivy is not one to pass up a treat, so I went to find her.  She was under our bed and looked hot.  I went to the kitchen to get her some water.  She wouldn't drink any water or eat the treat.  She had diahrea and I immediately suspected heat stroke.  I got her into our bathroom and started putting cold paper towels on her and getting her wet.  She was lethargic and started throwning up.  I called Jeremy to come home and take her to the vet.  He rushed home and our vet said she needed to go to the emergency vet clinic.

She did not have heat stroke.  She was diabetic, had a severe bladder infection, and acidosis.  They wanted to keep her in ICU and give her fluids.  I went to see her around 7:45 and she looked awful.  She had been throwing up blood by that point.  They were doing everything they could do for her, but she was very, very sick. 

They called us a midnight and said she was improving slightly.  We were so hopeful.  By 3:30am, they called to say she wasn't going to make it.  Jeremy rushed to the vet clinic, but he was too late. 

Our sweet Ivy has been such an important part of our life.  Her 4th birthday is a week from today.  She was irreplacable and we are devestated by this loss.

I can remember so clearly the day we brought her home.  She was a spitfire from the beginning and she stole our hearts from the first time we saw her.

We were so worried about how she would react to Emmeline, but we shouldn't have worried for a second.  She loved her and hated it when she cried.  I'm so going to miss watching Emme grow up and play with Ivy.

We are not sure how sweet Winnie is going to react to all of this.  As of now, she's just really confused.  She's sticking by my side- like she knows something isn't quite right. 

All in all, we just can't believe it.  The vet has assured us that we are not to blame.  But that's so hard.  As a parent (of a baby or a dog), you feel like it's your job to protect them and love them.  Somehow we let Ivy down.  I wish we would have noticed the signs, but we just didn't and there were too few. 

Our lives have been forever changed by our Ivy and we are going to miss her terribly.  I have to believe that she is in heaven and that one day, we will be together again.


No comments: